Spinach & Mushroom Pie
on | 2 min read
- Béchamel Sauce
- 250ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 20g butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 20g flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 200g button mushrooms
- 20g butter
- 90g parmesan grated
- 1 ½ sheets puff pastry
- 1 bag spinach leaves, blanched
- Preheat oven to 200°C on Fan and base heat.
- Heat the milk, onion, cloves, bay leaves and garlic over medium heat. Strain and set aside
- Melt the butter and stir in the flour. Mix until it forms a paste and cook on low heat for one minute without colouring. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and add the eggs. Continue stirring for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Place spinach into boiling water for a minute, until just wilted, remove and rinse under cold water. Using a clean tea towel, wring the spinach dry.
- Slice the mushrooms and sauté in the butter until soft. Set aside.
- Line a rectangular pie dish with pastry. Spread well drained spinach on the base of the pastry. Spoon the mushrooms over the spinach, then pour over the béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan. Place tart on lowest telescopic rail and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cooked.