Graphite - Charcoal Tacos with Teriyaki Mushrooms
Richmond Deluxe Graphite
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 portobello mushrooms
300ml teriyaki sauce
100ml dark soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sauce
2 tbsp black sesame seeds
For the tacos:
150g plain white flour
25g charcoal powder
3 tbsp sunflower oil
6 tbsp warm water
1 tsp table salt
For the pickles:
½ cucumber, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
½ red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 tbsp mustard seeds
200ml rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp table salt
- 1.Rinse the portobello mushrooms and cut into 10mm thick slices.
- 2.Add the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and brown sauce into a large bowl. Add in the sliced mushrooms and submerge into the sauce by pressing a side plate down until they’re below the liquid. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- 3.Place the sliced cucumber into another bowl, along with half of the mustard seeds, 100ml of the rice wine vinegar and 1 tbsp of the table salt. Set aside.
- 4.In a separate bowl, repeat the process with the sliced red onion and red pepper and the remaining mustard seeds, rice wine vinegar and table salt. Set aside.
- 5.For the tacos, add the flour, salt and charcoal powder into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour and fill up with the warm water and oil. Slowly bring together the dough, adding a little more water if required. Once the dough has been brought together, knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- 6.Weigh out 4 equal balls of the dough. Cut squares of baking parchment and place each dough ball between 2 sheets. With a taco press or rolling pin, flatten to make a disc around 2mm thick. Repeat the process for each dough ball.
- 7.In a dry frying pan, heat the tacos on a medium heat one at a time for around 2 minutes on each side. They should puff up a little. Keep them warm in a low heat oven until ready to serve.
- 8.Turn up the heat and fry the drained marinated mushrooms until they turn slightly sticky.
- 9.Build your tacos with the mushrooms and pickles, finished with a sprinkle of black sesame seeds.