Chilli Red - Singapore Chilli Crab
Singapore Chilli Crab
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 brown crabs
5tbsp sunflower oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3cm ginger, cut into matchsticks
3 red chillies, chopped into rounds
2 large red chillies, halved and deseeded
8 cherry tomatoes
4tbsp tomato ketchup
3tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp tom yum paste
For the garnish:
2 spring onions
Small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
Fresh chilli rounds
- 1.Cook the crabs in salted boiling water for 13 minutes. Set aside and leave to cool.
- 2.Chop the spring onions into 4cm pieces. Chop them again lengthways into fine strips. Place into a bowl of iced water and leave for 10-15 minutes to curl up for the garnish.
- 3.Twist the claws and legs off the cooked crabs. With a large chef knife, carefully crack each section of the claws and legs and put to one side.
- 4.Separate the shell from the main body of the crab. Discard the tail and feather-like gills. Cut the body in half and place with the legs and claws.
- 5.Using a spoon, scrape out the brown meat from the shell and put into a bowl. Wash out the shell and save for plating up.
- 6.In a wok or large frying pan, heat the sunflower oil on a medium heat. Fry the garlic and ginger for 2 minutes, then turn up the heat and add the cherry tomatoes, halved chillies and chilli rounds. Fry for 2 more minutes.
- 7.Add in the brown crab meat, tomato ketchup, soy sauce and tom yum paste. After another minute, add 100ml water and bring to the boil. Mix well.
- 8.Place the remaining crab body into the pan and fry until piping hot.
- 9.Assemble the mixture with the crab claws and tails into a tall pile. Place one of the crab shells on top of each serving.
- 10.Drain the spring onions and garnish each crab pile. Sprinkle over the chilli rounds and chopped coriander.
- 11.Serve immediately with finger bowls and napkins.