Chicken & Beans Enchilada Casserole (Gluten-free option)
on | 3 min read
- 2 cups cooked chicken meat, cubed or shredded
- ¼ - ½ bag of corn chips (Mission brand if looking for gluten-free)
- 1½ cups sweet potato, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or a mix of mozzarella and cheddar
- 3 Tblsps butter
- 3 Tblsps flour (GF or plain)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup Franks hot sauce, or ¼ cup green chilli sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Preheat your oven to 180°C in a fan forced function.
- In a small pan on the stove over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth. Allow mixture to cook for 60 seconds, whisking constantly. Whisk in the chicken stock slowly, then turn the heat down to medium, and cook until the mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the hot sauce, green onions, and all of the seasonings. Whisk to combine, and cook for another two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and whisk in the sour cream.
- Taste the sauce, and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.
- Spray a 3 litre baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and place a layer of corn chips on the base. Top the tortillas with half of the chicken, half of the kidney beans, half of the sweet potato, and ⅓ of the cheese.
- Drizzle ¾ cup of the sauce over the top, and repeat the same layer, using the remaining chicken, beans, and sweet potato.
- For the top layer, make the final layer of tortillas, and cover with 1 cup of the sauce, covering all the corn chips. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese, cover with foil and place in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with additional green onions and chopped parsley sprinkled over the top, if desired. Pour any extra sauce into a serving dish to serve alongside.