Traditional Ginger Bread Men
- 145g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup molasses
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tblsp ground ginger
- 1 Tblsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ ground cloves
- Place butter in a large bowl. Using a stick mixer, beat it for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar and molasses and mix on medium high speed until combined and creamy-looking. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add in the egg and vanilla on high speed for 2 full minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves together until combined.
- On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick and slightly sticky. Divide dough in half and place each onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap each up tightly and pat down to create a disc shape. Chill discs for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.
- Preheat your Belling oven to 175°C in a conventional function, or 155°C fanned. Line 2-3 baking sheets with baking paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Remove 1 disc of chilled dough from the fridge. Flour a work surface, as well as your hands and the rolling pin. Add flour as needed. Roll out disc until 1/4-inch thick. Cut into shapes. Place shapes 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Re-roll dough scraps until all the dough is shaped. Repeat with remaining disc of dough.
- Bake for about 8-12 minutes. Time will vary depending on the size of the cookies: if smaller than 4 inches, bake for 8 minutes; if larger than 4 inches, bake for 12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool down for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before decorating as desired.
TIP: Bake up to 3 months in advance, and store undecorated, cooked cookies in the freezer.Makes 20 cookies
Preparation time: 3.5 hours
Cooking time: 8-12 minutes
This recipe and 11 more were cooked all at once in a Belling Richmond. Check here to see how we did it.