Ginger Spotted Dick with Brandy Cream
Infused with stem ginger and a citrus burst, this version of Spotted Dick is certain to be winner. Pair with brandy cream for that extra special twist on a classic British pud.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1-2 Hours
60g jarred stem ginger (drained, chopped)
1 ½ tbsp orange zest
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
280g plain flour
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking powder
Butter, for greasing
284ml double cream
½ tub mascarpone
1 ½ tbsp whisky
2 tsp icing sugar
- 1.For the pudding, mix together the currants, sultanas, ginger, orange zest and orange juice in a bowl. Ensure all the fruit is coated and set aside.
- 2.In a separate bowl, mix the flour, suet, salt and baking powder.
- 3.Slowly pour the milk into the flour mixture, continuously mixing until a dough is formed - It should be a roll-able consistency. If it’s too dry, add more milk if necessary.
- 4.Drain the fruit then fully incorporate the fruit into the dough.
- 5.Shape the pastry into a fat roll about 20cm long then wrap in a piece of buttered greaseproof paper with a folded pleat to allow for expansion.
- 6.Place the wrapped dough onto a steamer and place in a large saucepan of boiling water. If it doesn’t fit, slice into two rolls then place both in the steamer.
- 7.Cover and steam for 1 ¾ hours. Top the pan up with boiling water if needed.
- 8.Remove from the steamer and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping.
- 9.For the brandy cream, whip the double cream and icing sugar together in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- 10.Quickly fold in the brandy.
- 11.Then gently fold in the mascarpone until fully incorporated.
- 12.Serve the Spotted Dick in thick slices with a generous dollop of brandy cream. Delicious!