- ¾ cup castor sugar
- ½ cup water
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup castor sugar, extra
- 300ml cream
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 160° C on conventional setting or 140° C fan forced.
- Stir the sugar and the water in a medium saucepan, on medium heat, until the sugar dissolves. (Do not boil)
- Brush the sides of the saucepan with a wet pastry brush to remove undissolved sugar crystals. Bring to the boil and boil uncovered, without stirring until the mixture is a caramel colour. Remove from the heat and pour the toffee like mixture into 6 ramekins.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla extract and extra sugar in a large bowl.
- Combine the cream and milk in saucepan and bring to the boil. Whisking constantly, pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Strain into the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a medium baking dish; add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until set. Remove the ramekins from the water bath cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Using a blunt knife, run the blade around the edge of the caramel, place a side plate over the ramekin and invert the caramel onto the plate.
- Serve with fresh berries and cream or ice cream.