Cardamom Syrup Cake
- Melted butter to grease fluted tin
- ⅔ cup rice bran oil
- ¾ cup natural yogurt
- 1 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tblsp finely grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs lightly whisked
- ½ cup self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups semolina
- ¾ castor sugar
- Mixed berries to serve
- 3 lemons
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 250ml water
- 3 cardamom pods lightly crushed
- Preheat oven to 170° on fan forced function. Brush a fluted mould with melted butter and sprinkle on some flour. Shake to coat and tip out excess flour.
- In a large bowl, add the oil, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon rind and egg and mix using a wooden spoon until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, semolina and sugar. Make a well in the centre, add the yogurt mixture and stir until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Set aside in pan to cool slightly and then turn out onto a plate.
- Using a zester, remove the rind from the lemons.
- Stir the sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon rind and cardamom and simmer for 15 minutes or until thick. Remove and discard the cardamom.
- Using a skewer, pierce holes all over the surface of the cake, and slowly pour over the syrup. Set aside to cool. Place a small bowl in the centre and fill with mixed berries Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.