Beetroot and Goats Cheese Tart
- 3 pre cooked beetroots, grated
- 30g butter
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tblsp, balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 Tblsp castor sugar
- 100g soft goats cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200ml thickened cream
- 2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C on base heat and fan function. Line a tart case with puff pastry and set aside in the fridge until needed.
- Sauté the onion in butter over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 6 – 8 minutes until onions are soft. Add beetroot, vinegar, thyme and sugar. Cook for 5 -7 minutes until thick and syrupy. Cool slightly and place in prepared tart case. Crumble goat’s cheese over the filling.
- Whisk eggs, cream and nutmeg together and pour over the onion mixture. Scatter some thyme leaves on top.
- Bake on bottom rack for 30 minutes and serve with horseradish cream.
- 5. Horseradish cream: Combine 1 tub of yogurt, 1 Tblsp horseradish cream, 1 tsp dijon mustard and 1 Tblsp lemon juice together in a small bowl